I nteract is Rotary International’s service club for young people ages 12 to 18. Interact clubs are sponsored by individual Rotary clubs, which provide support and guidance, but they are self-governing and self-supporting.
Club membership varies greatly. Clubs can be single gender or mixed, large or small. They can draw from the student body of a single school or from two or more schools in the same community.
Each year, Interact clubs complete at least two community service projects, one of which furthers international understanding and goodwill. Through these efforts, Interactors develop a network of friendships with local and overseas clubs and learn the importance of
- Developing leadership skills and personal integrity
- Demonstrating helpfulness and respect for others
- Understanding the value of individual responsibility and hard work
- Advancing international understanding and goodwill
As one of the most significant and fastest-growing programs of Rotary service, with more than 10,700 clubs in 109 countries and geographical areas, Interact has become a worldwide phenomenon. Almost 200,000 young people are involved in Interact.
Celebrate Interact's 50th anniversary
During the 2012-13 Rotary year, RI will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first chartered Interact club. To help celebrate, the Presidential Citation for Interact clubs and new Interact Certificates of Organization will feature a special anniversary logo. Download logo.
Join clubs worldwide to celebrate 50 years of Interact by organizing activities like these:
- Challenge your club or each Interactor to conduct an event to raise US$50 towards Rotary's fight to eradicate polio.
- During World Interact Week (5-11 November) organize projects that involve 50 positive actions in one of Rotary's areas of focus. Examples include donating 50 books to support basic education and literacy or organizing a community forum with 50 young people. Read about more World Interact Week ideas.
- Interview past Interactors in your area to learn how Interact can fuel a lifetime of service. Bring a camera with you to use the footage to create an entry for the Interact video contest.
Are you baking an Interact birthday cake? Recognizing past Interactors who have become community leaders? Show how your school, club, or Rotary district will celebrate Interact's 50th anniversary by sharing photos and stories on the Interact Facebook page.
Interact video contest
The Interact video contest recognizes the service and creativity of Interactors by asking them to tell their clubs' stories and celebrate their successes. Visit Interact's YouTube channel to learn this year’s theme and to watch winning videos from previous years. Read the official contest rules for details.
Subscribe to the e-newsletter
The New Generations monthly e-newsletter provides news and developments regarding the Interact, Rotaract, and Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) programs.